Yesterday between 11:12 PM and 11:59 PM GMT+1 we were faced with a DDoS attack of substantial size. The attack was so large it produced five times the API query volume than we normally receive.
During the attack our API performance did degrade but the cluster did not go down and continued to answer legitimate customer queries. Our average query answer time increased from 12ms to 1,250ms (1.25 seconds) as the graph below illustrates:
We found that 25% of our customer traffic was subject to this increased latency. The other 75% continued to receive low response times of around 15ms to 30ms. The reason for this is due to the attack coming in frequent but short bursts. Likely a coordinated attempt to create the highest impact on our service quality.
We don't know who is behind the attack at this time as we have received no communication from those responsible. We're not yet planning any changes to our infrastructure as a result of this attack but we are monitoring our service closely and may introduce more nodes to the cluster if we feel it's warranted.
Thanks for reading and we hope you're having a great week.