New North American Nodes

Image description

This has been a month full of new servers and today is the last announcement we have regarding servers, we promise.

Over the past day, we brought online two new high-end servers within our North American service region called Jupiter and Saturn.

These are now the highest-performing servers we have serving that region and each of these servers are 6.27x more performative than our previous nodes excluding Lunar which was added last week and is itself very high-end.

To put the total performance upgrade in perspective our three new servers (Lunar, Jupiter and Saturn) provide us with 100,000 units of performance compared with 25,000 units of performance for our old servers (Leto, Cronus, Metis and Nyx). That's a straight 4x performance uplift while moving from four servers to three servers.

However, we will not be saying goodbye to Cronus, Metis or Nyx just quite yet because we have leases on those servers which expire between July and September. So until then, we've tweaked our load balancer to split the load so that Cronus, Metis and Nyx handle 25% of North American traffic while our three new servers Lunar, Jupiter and Saturn will carry the other 75%.

This upgrade is not just to give us breathing room to grow in the future but also to address some very large customers we picked up since the start of this year. We've seen our North American traffic go from around 35% of our daily mix (Europe being the rest) to 60% of our traffic. And with the new Asian servers we introduced earlier in the month we've seen our European load fall a bit due to some of the Asian traffic they would otherwise handle going to those new dedicated servers in the Asian region.

So in short, we needed to bolster our American infrastructure. And in addition to this change, we are also making changes to our per-second request limits. Before today you could make 100 requests per second to any server before receiving a warning and 125 requests per second before having your requests denied for up to 10 seconds.

Due to our new increased hardware performance, our planned reduction in the number of servers we have (while making each server more powerful) and also the very large customers we've been acquiring we've decided to increase the limits to 175 for the warning and 200 for the hard limit. The limiter still only looks at the previous 10 seconds of your request volume so you can still go over these limits if it's brief enough.

Essentially the true limit will be 2,000 requests over 10 seconds whether all those queries were made in a single second or spread out over the full 10-second period. This is up from the 1,250 limit we imposed previously. And remember this is per server. So for our North American servers when we only have 3 servers (down from the current 6) that limit will become 6,000 requests over 10 seconds instead of 3,750.

These new raised limits will also help with our new South Asia region where we only have two servers although the two combined are the equivalent of 8 of our last gen servers in performance and so they can handle these increased request limits with ease.

We know discussing infrastructure as we often do is not the norm. Most services like to shoulder these kinds of things and not share them publicly. We don't want to do that because we feel it's an interesting part of building any business and we want you to know that your paid subscriptions are being utilised to improve the infrastructure that ultimately delivers the service you're using. These new servers we've deployed aren't just going to increase the volume of traffic we can handle, they'll also lower the processing latency so everyone who uses our service will benefit from that too.

Thanks for reading and have a great week!